1. They’re a waste of time
just pulled the most unnecessary all-nighter of my life because I can’t say no to buzzfeed listicles of baby animals. I suck
— Maddy Hinck (@maddymoo916) May 9, 2014
2. At best facile, at worst actively awful
3. Often actively mean about something you love
25 things that suck about living in Chicago: #1. Having a different listicle tell you that your rad city isn’t really that fun every week
— GlitterGuts (@GlitterGutsy) July 17, 2013
4. They over-simplify
it must suck to have your reporting broken into a slideshow listicle
— raphael brion (@raphael_brion) September 10, 2012
5. Sometimes just ads in disguise
6. Preserve things best forgotten
— darrell whitelaw (@darrellwhitelaw) December 21, 2013
7. Did we mention they’re a waste of time? Like, both your time and mine? They waste the time of the maker of the listicle, the editor of the home of the listicle, and all the readers of the listicle.
Swearing off listicles for a week. What a ridiculous time-suck. — Amir Talai (@AmirTalai) August 27, 2013
8. They’re Nick Hornby’s fault. Or maybe, we’ve all screwed up a good idea that Nick Hornby had.
Blame Nick Hornby for the glut of listicles. Or High Fidelity in general whatever. The point is: excessive listicles suck.
— FacePaulm Revere (@derprevere) June 28, 2013
9. They’re never as long (or short) as they should be
Listicles. Every time I see “9 reasons why…” links I think “why 9”? Why not 10, or 8 or 31? And then I remember listicles are crap — Stef Lewandowski (@stef) January 20, 2014
10. They’re an irony-free zone
I love those listicles about people saying dumb things online because it’s patently obvious that most of them are jokes.
— Social Justice Rogue (@dorianwright) May 15, 2014
11. They’re just a bit too stupid to feel like a legitimate target for complaint, but also really annoying. Also, see 9.
28 People Who Are Way Too Upset About A Dumb BuzzFeed Listicle
— delrayser (@delrayser) July 9, 2013